Periods. Ugh, right? From cramps to mood swings, the monthly struggle is real. But the right period products can make that time of the month so much more manageable.
So in this post, i’ll spill the tea on products that can make that time of the month a lot less “ugh” and a bit more “ahh”. So Let’s get to it!
Kindly note, this post may contain affiliate links; meaning if you click on one of the links and choose to make a purchase, I’ll receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you.
How To Make That Time of the Month Easier
Do you remember those awkward teenage years when our periods first started, and we had no idea what we were doing? I sure do! But as I’ve grown older and wiser, I’ve learned that finding the perfect period product can make a difference.
Here’s what I mean. The right period product can provide comfort and security. Say goodbye to constantly worrying about leaks and discomfort and say hello to pure confidence to go about your day.
In addition, when you find a period product that works for you, you’ll be less stressed about your period. There are so many period products out there, and picking the right product for your flow, activity level, and preference can really make a big difference.
Period Panties – The Ultimate in Period Self Care
Okay, when I heard about period underwear, I was like, “Whaaat? Underwear that can replace pads or liners?!”
But let me tell you, and it’s revolutionary! 😍
They’re super comfortable and perfect for chilling at home, working out, or even as backup protection for those heavy flow days. Bye-bye, leakage anxiety!
How does it work exactly, you ask? Period underwear is like regular underwear but has built-in absorbent layers to catch the menstrual flow so you can wear them without additional period products. How cool is that?
Thinx period underwear has been a lifesaver for me on light days or when I need extra protection in addition to my prior period product. They’re comfortable and discreet and come in different styles.
Tips for Choosing the Right Period Underwear:
- Know your absorbency needs: Different brands and styles offer various absorbency levels so you need to look out for this when deciding.
- Consider your style preference: From bikinis to boyshorts, there are different underwear styles, so you can pick the one that makes you feel the most comfortable and confident.
- Read reviews: Period underwear can be an investment, so before you leap, read reviews and research.
Menstrual Cups – The Eco-Friendly Alternative
Menstrual cups are reusable and eco-friendly; you can wear them for up to 12 hours. Talk about convenience!
There’s a learning curve if you are new to menstrual cups; it might take a few tries to get the hang of it but trust me, it’s worth it! And you’ll be doing our environment a favor. Here’s our how to guide for using a menstrual cup for the first time.
Tips for Choosing the Right Menstrual Cup:
- Size matters: Menstrual cups come in different sizes based on factors like age, childbirth history, and flow. So if you want a comfortable fit, you must consider this.
- Research different brands: There are various menstrual cup brands on the market, each with its unique design. Read reviews and compare features to find the best one for you.
- Be patient: It might take a few tries to insert and remove a menstrual cup, but don’t give up practice makes perfect!
Pads; A Classic Go-To
Pads have been around for ages, and they’re still a popular choice. I love pads for my heavy-flow days. They come in different sizes and absorbencies, pads for daytime, nighttime, and even for specific needs like postpartum care.
I’ve tried countless pad brands and styles, and my absolute favorite has to be the Always Infinity FlexFoam Pads. They’re super comfy and ultra-absorbent, and they have this fantastic wing design that keeps them in place; no slipping!
Tips for Choosing the Right Pad:
- Consider your flow: Light, medium, or heavy? Choose a pad with the appropriate absorbency.
- Think about your lifestyle: Are you active? Do you need something discreet for work? Look for pads designed for your specific needs.
- Test different brands: Every brand feels different, so feel free to try a few until you find the one that works best for you. I’ve always been a fan of the brand; their products work well for me for any type of day or flow.
Tampons – On The Move
Tampons are another period product that has become popular, and they’re perfect for women on the go. If you love to swim or engage in physical activities, tampons may be better for you. They also come in different sizes and absorbances to suit your needs.
I used to be terrified of tampons, but I tried them and realized that they were not as uncomfortable as I thought. My go-to tampons now are Tampax Pearl. Their smooth applicator makes insertion a breeze, and their absorbency is on point!
Tips for Choosing the Right Tampon:
- Know your flow: Like pads, tampons come in different absorbances so you have to choose the right one for your menstrual flow.
- Applicator or no applicator? Some women prefer tampons with applicators for easier insertion, while others opt for those without. It’s a personal preference.
- Give organic options a try: If you’re concerned about chemicals in traditional tampons, consider trying organic brands like Cora or Lola.
When cramps hit hard, I need something to ease the pain, and heating pads have always helped. So grab one next time aunt flo visits, and let the warmth work its magic.
It’s like a warm hug for the tummy, and I am here for it!
These apps will help you keep track of your cycle and symptoms so you are never caught off guard. Knowing when PMS lurks can help you understand your emotions (and maybe avoid that pre-period meltdown)!
Drink Water and Eat Healthy
Unsurprisingly, water can do wonders for period discomfort. It can help alleviate bloating and cramping, and when you focus on eating right too, it’ll help with fatigue and mood swings.
More Period Articles
The 4 Menstrual Cycle Phases & How To Embrace Each
Nurture Yourself: Simple Self Care Ideas To Do At Home During That Time of The Month
Keep moving (but also rest!)
I know, I know, exercising during your period is the last thing you want to do, but it can actually help reduce cramps and boost your mood. Just remember to listen to your body, Don’t push yourself too hard.
Satisfy Your Cravings
Hello, chocolate!!! Yes, please. Cravings are real during our period, and I’m a firm believer in treating yourself. The good news is dark chocolate is not only delicious but also contains magnesium, which can help with cramps. Plus, it’s a great mood booster!
Sipping on some tea can be super soothing too. I absolutely love Yogi Women’s Moon Cycle Tea, specifically designed to help with menstrual discomfort. It has a mix of herbs like raspberry leaf, chamomile, and ginger, which can be so calming during that time of the month.
Did you know that essential oils can reduce pain and discomfort?
Lavender oil is known for its relaxing properties and can help with sleep, while peppermint oil can help alleviate cramps. So add a few drops to your diffuser, or mix with a carrier oil and massage onto your abdomen.
The bottom line is that the right period product can truly make that time of the month so much easier. Our period is a natural part of life, and we can’t avoid it, but we can focus on making it more manageable.
These period products will make that time of the month a little more bearable! So try them and let me know what you think in the comments below. And if you have any other products that make your time of the month i’ll like to hear about them.
Jess is a designer, writer and womens wellness advocate. She believes that each of us have our own unique experiences and stories to share to educate and uplift one another.